Ok I found the story on the two Provo students that confronted thieves that were breaking in to their car. It was a story on Nightside. Surprisingly Nightside was for the confrontation. I was thinking about posting something about his story but decided not to; but here I go anyway.
My disclaimer, the use of deadly force to protect property is not a good idea. It would not stand up in court and any other litigation that would be brought against you.
With that being said, I’m on the side of the two students. I have had my car broken into several times and a storage shed, and was told basically that I would have to find the stuff in pawn shops and then notify the police, if I was to get anything back.(this is probably where I started cruising pawn shops). So I think is a good thing that the guys decided not to be sheep and do something about the situation. It was not the first time and they had not gotten really any help from the police. It might even get the crooks thinking I may get shot for stealing.I also have to say that I have a lot of respect for the police, but with a full plate, break ins are not going to get a lot of priority.Yes there is the argument that the you shouldn’t take the law into your own hands, but really according to the story they guys did not go out guns blazing, they tried to detain the crooks and didn’t fire until the one student thought the car was going to hit his friend.
So was it smart to confront the crooks, maybe not completely. Were they prepared, I would say yes. Would I do it? Yes.
I guess I don’t like the thought that the crook will continue to break the law because they know that they are not on the cops radar because it is small enough not to warrant effort and that people are just going to sit by and wait for the cops to do something.
Owell just thinking and babbling. My next post will be better. It’s a good thing only my family reads this.
laters
Tuesday, July 3, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
We agree. when our Honda was broken into and D's clubs stolen they didn't even come to the house. We took our car to the station to have them take finger prints, but they said they would most likely not be on file. It is so frustrating!! I do understand that the police are busy and these small amounts of money are too little to mess with. but it is still frustrating!!!
Post a Comment